Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bride Wars

I should preface this review by saying that the night I went to this movie I had spent a good chunk of the day at a wedding expo (where I didn't even win any prizes...how unfair). I had seen the real life glimmer of Bridezilla in many eyes and I must say that Bride Wars takes the whole Bridezilla mentality to a new level.

Bride Wars
stars Anne Hathaway (Emma) and Kate Hudson (Liv). Bryan Greenberg (Nate), Chris Pratt (Fletcher), and Steve Howey (Daniel) play the three leading guys.
The plot is fairly basic. Emma and
Liv have been best friends for many many years (or BFFs as the kids might say), and they both get engaged around the same time. Naturally, they are each others maids of honour and when a scheduling conflict means that one of them has to give up the dream wedding at the plaza all 'wedding' gloves are off. They each get replacements and wage battle on each other. For the most part the plot is predictable and most of the funny lines in the movie were already repeatedly shown to us in the previews. I did however learn that formerly chubby girls are tough because they are made of steel and splenda.

Anne Hathaway plays a fairly likable teacher that has spent most of her life trying to make other people happy...until her wedding day when she finds out that she has a backbone after all. Kate Hudson, on the other hand, is the overbearing crazy lawyer who realizes she doesn't have to be perfect all of the time. After all, her fiance prefers to have a human wife because the other ones are too hard to blow up. Her character's over-the-topness provided the majority of chuckles. Just a brief aside, if you are familiar with young Goldie Hawn you may have noticed that Kate looks pretty much identical to her mother.

The men in th
e movie, much like grooms at a wedding, didn't really garner that much attention. You may however notice, as I did, that all of the men in the movies come from a tv background. Bryan Greenberg as the oh so lovable Jake from One Tree Hill, Chris Pratt from Everwood, and Steve Howey as Van from Reba. I would say that Steve Howey did the best job (though I think he probably also had the most lines).

I attended this mov
ie (as I did the wedding expo) with my two bridesmaids. One thought it was a crime against womanhood and the other was not sure it was necessary. I fall somewhere in the middle. It was a fun movie and had enough chuckles to keep me entertained. I learned some valuable wedding lessons; like you don't alter Vera Wang to fit you, you alter yourself to fit Vera Wang. However, to be honest I expected a little bit more from the story.

Bride Wars gets one kernel - funny, but I could have waited for it to be on tv

No comments:

Post a Comment