Sunday, May 31, 2009

Star Trek

I don't really know where to begin with Star Trek. In the interest of full disclosure I will tell you that I am familiar with the original series, but have not seen any episodes in a really long time and I don't rememeber many of the details. I will also tell you that I loved this movie. If you are not familiar with Kirk and the gang and still want to see the movie I wouldn't worry about thinking you will be a step behind. Because the story takes place at the beginning you don't need any prior knowledge. That being said, if you have prior knowledge you will be able to pick up on some of the smaller details.

I will avoid giving away plot (mostly cause I saw it a week ago and don't want to screw up any of the details) and stick to observations. While I don't remember all of the original characters very well, I was able to pick up on
some of the mannerisms that the new actors included in their characters. Chris Pine plays an excellent Kirk (and has such pretty eyes). He is a lady's man that is not quite as corny, but still includes the crossed leg pose in the captain's chair. Zachary Quinto also does an Spock. Besides managing the balance between logic and emotion well, he also worked in the Spock raised eyebrow. Chekov was so amazingly adorable. I loved his accent and am pretty sure he was not that awesome in the tv show. I also enjoy Leonard Nimoy very very much and am glad he was in the movie. Oh, also Eric Bana plays a Romulan and while he seemed kind of familiar I had no idea it was him until after the movie. Cameron from House and Winona Ryder also briefly appear.

I would definitely recommend this movie to people because it has great action, but also quite a bit of comic relief worked i
n. A really good mix of styles. Also, if you do care about Star Trek characters it is really cool to see how they all came together.

Star Trek gets 3 kernels - good action, good comedy, and Chekov's wonderful accent.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted the villain to be a little more creepy.

    Have you stopped going to movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a little lazy and forgot to post my last three. I'm going to work on them right now.

    ReplyDelete