Sunday, August 16, 2009

Public Enemies

Public Enemies is based on the true story of John Dillinger (and other public enemies) and the efforts to bring them to justice, led by Melvin Purvis. Some time has passed since I've seen this movie, and while I still feel like it was pretty good, I also think that there were some flaws. It seems to me that there were just too many characters. Some of them you got to know briefly and others were around for quite a while, but it was difficult to remember their name because so many were flying around in the story.

Johnny Depp did do a good job portraying Dillinger. Marion Cotillard, in her role as Billie Frechette, was also very good. Christian Bale was perhaps a little forgettable as Melvin Purvis. I think a number of people could have done the role just as well or better. I wish the plot had allowed for more de
pth into the character of Purvis, as he is so important but we really know nothing about him.

Public Enemies gets two kernels - pretty good movie with good acting, but something keeping it from being great.

No comments:

Post a Comment